The India-UK Water Centre's activities include workshops, exchange schemes, user engagement initiatives and pump-priming projects designed to support collaboration between UK and India water security researchers. These activities are initiated from the wider Indian-UK water research community and delivered with support from the IUKWC. Each activity is required to map onto one or more of the IUKWC's scientific themes.
- Workshops IUKWC workshops are held in either the UK or India and bring together scientists to: discuss the current state of knowledge in a particular area; identify the future requirements/ideas for joint research and/or provide training to exchange and further develop scientific skills in water security science.
- User Engagement initiativesThe IUKWC supports the translation and communication of outcomes from India-UK water research to users via directed User Engagement Initiatives. These initiatives focus on translating the results of India-UK science into policy/operational practice and are designed to bring together scientists with policy makers, regulators or commercial companies to support either: a) the translation and communication of India-UK water security science to users or b) collect input on stakeholder needs for future research and innovation.
- Pump Priming ProjectsThe India-UK Water Centre funds a small number of Pump Priming Projects designed to take forward ideas or provide preparatory groundwork for future IUKWC activities. Pump priming projects are typically small projects, up to 3 months’ duration, that are designed to initiate further future collaboration; assess the needs of the community for other directed activities; develop new means of communicating joint research results; assess the state of knowledge and/or conduct proof-of-concept pilot studies.
- Research Exchange SchemeThe Centre's Researcher Exchange Schemes provide opportunities for Indian experts to visit the UK or UK experts to visit India in order to spend time exploring research ideas, building capacity or training in research methods, or exchanging latest findings.
- WebinarsIUKWC supports running of webinars to facilitate collaboration under UK-India projects and interaction with international experts and wider research audience. These webinars are also intended to disseminate findings of IUKWC activities like research exchanges, workshops, Pump priming projects,etc.
How to participate in the Centre's activities
The IUKWC runs calls that allow the community to submit proposals to run or participate in its activities.
Participation in the Centre's workshops is open to all in the community to apply to attend, but requires (free) registration on the Open Network of Water Scientists first.
The Centre supports members of the community who run activities by providing funding and helping facilitated delivery of these activities in India or the UK. Calls to run activities are normally made twice a year and are either Open Calls or Focused Topic Calls to ensure the Centre delivers a balanced portfolio of activities across its scientific themes.